Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Peggy Chapman – Administrative Assistant to the Principal

Job Description: Peggy keeps track of her principal’s (Fred Rundle) calendar, arranges meetings, prepares agendas, helps in the Health Room, interfaces with parents and deals with children every day. “Sometimes I just listen to them. They have a lot on their minds and need to tell someone right away. I am often the first person they see so they tell me.”

Note: While conducting this interview over a period of 15 minutes, at least 3 children had something to say to Peggy!

Typical Day: Peggy arrives at 7:40 am (“I am supposed to be here at 7:30 am, but I am not a morning person so I make it up at the end of the day.”) Before the children arrive at 9 am, Peggy checks her substitute teacher list, does the weekly bulletin on Mondays and issues keys to the subs. Then, she does attendance, and checks in on kids who don’t show up to make sure they are safe. In between she does everything in her job description.

Best part of the job: Everything. “I love my job! Every day goes by so fast I forget I am working.”

Something people may not know: “I am not as organized at home as I am at work.” And – Peggy makes it her job to know every child in the school.

Years worked in the district: 35 years. Peggy started as a volunteer at Mercer Crest Elementary and has worked for 6 different principals.

Outside interests: Peggy is an avid reader, especially mysteries. “I plan to be a sleazy detective in my next life!” She also enjoys golf. “I have played for 20 years and still haven’t gotten any better, but I like it anyway.”