Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Karin Hummel – 6th Grade teacher

Location: Islander Middle School

Job Description: Karin teaches 6th grade math and science, as well as 8th grade math.

Typical day: “Chaos!” Karin laughs. As a mother of four children attending MISD schools, her day begins long before she arrives at work. Once in the classroom, she teaches two periods of math, preps, then teaches two science classes and an 8th grade math class.

Best part of the job: “I really enjoy 6th graders,” Karin says. “I have been teaching them for 26 years! I like their excitement for the middle school experience. Every year I tell my husband, ‘I have the best class ever!’ and he always reminds me that I say that every year. It’s true – each year is different, but wonderful. Here at IMS, I am fortunate to work with a fabulous staff, including the student teacher and paraprofessionals who work in my room.”

In Karin’s math classes, “I love it when a parent tells me their child never liked math, and now he/she does.” In science, she enjoys watching her students do hands-on projects. ‘Punkin Chunkin’ is a popular 6th grade science tradition that Karin started years ago to teach about motion. The students build catapults, sling shots, or trebuchets and measure the distance and speed they propel a small pumpkin. “Hands-on science projects give students a chance to shine where they might not in bookwork,” Karin explains. Robo Lab (formerly known as Lego Logo) gives students an opportunity to build Lego projects and write computer programs to make them move. Students always look forward to it and often remember it for years afterwards.

Something people may not know: Karin is an avid hiker and has reached the 10,000-foot Camp Muir level of Mt. Rainier five times. “The summer before each of my children enters 6th grade, I take them on this hike – like of a rite of passage,” Karin explains. “One of my daughters still says it was the worst day of her life!” With every climb, Karin relies on the companionship and guidance of her friend, 85 year-old local mountaineer Bronka Sundstrom – the oldest woman ever to climb Rainier.

Years worked in the district: 11 years.

Outside interests: Karin tutors kids in math and other subjects. “I just love kids!” she exclaims. “I had four of my own, which is a little extreme in itself! I guess I just never get enough of them.” Karin and her family – husband Mark, a 1977 graduate of MIHS, and children, Kristin, Courtney, Katie and Jacob, live in Issaquah.