Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tiffany Nelson – Third Grade Teacher

Location: Island Park Elementary

Job Description: Tiffany sees her job as inspiring in her students a love of learning in all its many facets. “There is the academic part,” she explains, “but beyond that there’s the whole ‘child aspect’ – encouraging curiosity about the world around them. Helping them find their role in the environment. Building healthy connections with each other – establishing friendships, and being good, kind people.”

Typical day: “I thrive on routine,” Tiffany says. Her students do too. They can count on a greeting from their teacher as they arrive at 9 a.m. On the white board they will find their first task. Says Tiffany, “I get an idea how my tone for the day will be by connecting with each child in the morning. I try to assess how they’re doing – what’s happening with each one personally.” The morning progresses with a reading session, recess, and math. After lunch the afternoon schedule is flexible. Some days they work on writing, social studies, or science. On Wednesday the children have a rotation cycle, which might mean PE, music, or computer lab where they are currently learning to keyboard.

Best part of the job: “I love the feeling that I am affecting the future by inspiring these kids,” says Tiffany. “I want to help them discover their passions and to work hard so their dreams and goals can be accomplished.” Tiffany commends the Island Park community and the district for job satisfaction, as well. “I work with an amazing third-grade team,” she says. “We also have a great support staff and parents. I know that I can go to anybody for anything, even teachers from the other schools, and they will be willing to share. You don’t find that everywhere. The support here makes it so nice to come to work.”

Something people may not know: Tiffany has a BS in Accountancy, and before becoming a teacher worked as an accountant for ten years. Tiffany’s mother was a schoolteacher and as her retirement drew near, Tiffany spent some time in her classroom and found she liked it. “That was when I realized I wanted to be my mom when I grew up!” Tiffany laughs. “So I went home and told my husband I was giving up accounting and going back to school.”

Years worked in district: This is Tiffany’s sixth year.

Outside interests: Tiffany has been “married forever!” to Ron, her high school sweetheart. Their relationship began at Clayton Valley High School in Concord, California. Relocated to Mercer Island, their family includes two daughters and a golden retriever. Making time for family is a priority for Tiffany. “It sounds a little cheesy,” she confides, “but we have family dinners every night. We like to play games and be silly together, and hang out with friends.” Tiffany also enjoys reading and considers herself an ‘amateur’ knitter. “I can knit scarves – that’s it!”