Search This Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

Kere Loughlin – Third grade teacher

Location: Island Park Elementary

Job description: “I see my job as helping my students communicate their ideas, get in touch with their passions, and integrate those passions into the classroom,” says Kere. “I encourage them to develop their own opinions about what they are learning. I say, “Don’t just believe what I tell you! Have an opinion and back it up!” When they express themselves in a way that makes sense to them, they come alive. It’s really exciting! They’re eight and nine years old! Awesome.”

Typical day: Kere puts her students in charge of the morning routine. At 9:15 a.m., a student leader will direct the class in a salute to the flag. Afterwards, another leader will direct the daily language practice. “Up until 10 a.m. my students run the show,” says Kere. “They do a great job, and it allows me to meet quietly with individual students to go over problems they might be having in their work.” Afterwards, there is reading and math. In the afternoon they have science, social studies and art. “My kids work hard!” Kere exclaims. “Their day is packed! We have so much to do that sometimes it’s a challenge to integrate art into the day. But we manage it.” Evidence is in the hallway outside their classroom, where Kere’s students are creating a mural based on their study of Puget Sound sea life – merging science and art. After dismissal in the afternoon, the second part of Kere’s day begins. She tackles emails, grading, and reviewing student work.

Best part of the job: “I love to hear the kids’ stories,” says Kere. “Once you have gained a child’s trust, they are so willing and earnest about sharing their lives with you. These kids are smart and perceptive. They have such interesting ideas about the world, sometimes with perspectives that have never occurred to me. I think, ‘Wow! I want to take that with me.’”

Something people may not know: Kere earned an undergraduate degree in theatre and vocal performance from the UW. “I had this whole other life in theatre,” she says. “It was great training for teaching.” This will be Kere’s final year at MISD. She will head to WWU in the fall, to study for her (second) master’s degree, in mental health counseling. Her first masters and teaching certificate were obtained at SPU, several years after she began working at West Mercer and Island Park as a paraprofessional. “Kathy Morrison was the principal of Island Park then. She became a phenomenal mentor for me. I would not have become a teacher if it hadn’t been for her.” It will be difficult for Kere to leave this job she calls “magical.” But it is an opportunity to try new work she wants to explore –counseling children and families in a therapeutic setting. “I am dealing with very mixed feelings about leaving,” Kere admits. “I’ve talked to my students about it. One of them said, ‘Well, Ms. Loughlin. You just have to follow your heart.’”

Years in district: Seven years in the district, three as a teacher.

Outside interests: “I love all beaches,” Kere says. “I love to read, walk and spend time with my amazing family.”