Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

Polly Giovanelli –Second Grade Teacher

Location:
Lakeridge Elementary

Job Decription / Philosophy: Polly grew up on Mercer Island and attended district schools all the way through her senior year. Much of her approach to teaching stems from growing up in a great family and the excellent education she received here. Polly makes it her business to do everything possible to help each student reach his or her potential.

Typical day: “I love every day here!” Polly says. “There is never a dull moment. We have a lot of fun in my classroom. I walk around humming and dancing and the kids are so used to me that they don’t even look up anymore!”

“My favorite activities this year are the Daily 5,” Polly continues. “I was inspired by the enthusiasm of fellow teachers Cathy Dugovich and Barbara Tivnan.” The Daily 5 is a structured approach to promoting independent learning – students read to themselves or to someone else, do word work, and practice writing. “The children are doing a wonderful job of ‘building stamina’ as we work on reading silently for longer periods,” Polly explains. “This allows me to spend time with small groups or read with a student, one-on-one. I am so enthusiastic about this program. My students are getting totally turned-on to reading and becoming much more fluent readers!”

Best part of the job: “Definitely, it’s relating with children,” says Polly. “Focusing on them is extremely fulfilling. Things are happening all the time - somebody’s rabbit just died; someone else lost a tooth; another child is anticipating a visit from grandma.” Polly treasures the many relationships she has formed with students. “It‘s all so meaningful. For instance, I was just walking back from taking my students to music class, and the next thing I know, there’s a little hand in mine!”

Something people may not know: “Hmmm,” Polly ponders. “I’ve been at Lakeridge for so long and I’m such a talker – I can’t imagine that there’s anything people don’t know about me! I just got a new car, but everyone here knows that!” When Polly was a student at Lakeridge, “I got sent to the principal’s office for breaking a bathroom stall door because I was goofing around with a friend. I was so nervous that all I could do while I sat in the principal’s office was laugh.” Polly smiles at the memory. “I was lucky that Mrs. Nigren, the principal, understood that I always laughed when I was nervous!”

Years in district: Polly has taught at Lakeridge for a total of 23 years. “I don’t know where the time has gone!”

Outside interests: Before teaching on Mercer Island, Polly taught for seven years in California and Arizona. She and husband Bob currently live in Redmond. Polly has two grown sons, Jetton and Travis. They both live in California. Polly and Bob’s busy household also includes two dogs – Jack, a fun-loving Golden Retriever, and Maggie, a feisty Cairn terrier – and a beloved cat named Tux. Whenever possible, Polly and Bob bring their dogs along – even on vacations. Polly’s much-loved brother, Tom Giovanelli, lives on Mercer Island. She enjoys getting together with Tom and his family often. “Between family get-togethers, a busy household and teaching,” Polly exclaims, “I keep pretty busy!”