Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Marlene Liranzo - Family and Consumer Science Teacher

Location:
Mercer Island High School

Job description: Marlene teaches Image, a course that is mainly for grades 9-10, and Personal and Family Relations (PFR ), a course geared primarily towards grades 11-12. “My classes are about life,” says Marlene. Image, billed as a time management, organizational skills, team building and cooperative learning skills course, covers a spectrum of ‘life’ topics including stress management, self-esteem, healthy coping skills, nutrition, fitness, healthy relationships, and internet safety. PFR covers topics such as goal setting, listening skills, conflict resolution, sexual assault information, alcohol and drug issues, parenting choices, financial health, and social concerns. “I am into happiness,” says Marlene. “I want to be a role model for health. I want my students to see that they can choose to be positive and to take care of themselves. I think parents recognize the importance of these classes and believe they are good for their kids.”

Typical day: “Very hectic!” says Marlene, who works closely with MI Youth and Family Services, colleagues and community experts on regular class presentations. Any day might include a representative from Youth Eastside Services to talk about dating violence. Someone else from the Public Health Department might be in to discuss sexuality. Ron Feinberg, a Mercer Island clinical social worker, has given talks about relationships. Betsy Zuber, from MIYFS, regularly presents information about aging. Why do high school students need to learn about aging? “Because,” says Marlene, “by the year 2030, for the first time in history, there will be more older people than younger people in the United States. These kids will be a part of that demographic.” Betsy also talks to the PFR class about aging relatives and dementia. “I learn from our resource people, too!” says Marlene.

Besides teaching classes, Marlene co-chairs the CTE department and is an advisor to the Students Against Violence Everywhere (SAVE) club, which orchestrates drives for homeless shelters and Childhaven, and presents talks on subjects such as suicide prevention. She is also co-advisor (with Cathy Gentino) for Natural Helpers. The Natural Helpers club is comprised of a group of 9-12th graders who are selected by their peers to develop their natural communication and empathy skills. These students are identified in their school community as safe people to go to for help with problems who can provide resources, including referring to an adult, if necessary.

Best part of the job: “The kids,” says Marlene. “They are funny and dear. I try to connect with them so that by the end of the semester they will know I’m here as a resource for them and also, maybe, for other people in their lives because relationships are part of health. Even if just one kid knows I’m here and that I care, it makes it worth it for me.” Marlene cherishes the connections she has made over the years and marvels at how small the world can be. “Last Christmas I was in Cabo, watching a Husky game, and a former student found me in the crowd and came up to talk. Another time, I ran into a former student when I was in Sorrento, Italy!”


Something people may not know: “I love humor and being silly,” says Marlene. “The kids make me laugh. I joke with them that I want to be a standup comic and use material about THEM!”

Years in district: Marlene started at Mercer Island School District when her daughter was in first grade in 1987. Her daughter, Lindsey, is now a teacher herself.

Outside interests: Marlene is big-time Husky fan and has season tickets. She lives in Sammamish with her husband, Rich. She enjoys reading, gardening, and spending time with daughter and son-in-law, Lindsey and Matt, and son, Michael. Traveling is a favorite thing to do, and she never knows which former student she might run into!