Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Vicki Wittenberger – Speech Pathologist

Location:
Lakeridge Elementary School

Job description: As a speech pathologist, Vicki evaluates and delivers specialized instruction for students with language, articulation, fluency and voice disorders.

Typical day: In the morning, Vicki attends meetings with staff and/or parents, organizes her day ahead, and works on student evaluations and plans, otherwise known as IEP’s. “There is a lot of paperwork,” says Vicki, although nowadays most of it is done online. She has seen many changes in her 40 years with MISD. “When I first started in 1971, I had a caseload of 110 kids. There weren’t any special education laws then, so we had very little paperwork. Ideally now, a full-time caseload would be 45 students.

At 9:20 a.m., when school starts, Vicki sees students individually or in groups of up to four, every half hour. She works with them on their individual speech and/or language goals. As an example, some children have difficulty pronouncing their ‘R’s. Vicki likes to focus on a sound they are able to make, such as the ‘K’ sound and work towards the ‘R’ sound. As both are made with the same high, back tongue position, this muscle work is a way of tricking the tongue. Eventually the tongue is strong enough and the students are on their way to correction.

Best part of the job: “All the staff I have worked with over the years.” But for Vicki, the greatest reward has been working with students. “I feel like I’ve made a difference in a lot of kids’ lives.”

Something people may not know: “I’ve been here since I was 21 years old!” Vicki exclaims. “There’s not much about me that people don’t know!”

Years in district: Vicki started at MISD in 1971 and student taught at Mercer Crest Elementary in 2nd grade and in speech therapy. When a space opened up that year, Vicki, who has a dual-degree, became a full-time speech pathologist, and began shuttling between different schools for the next 40 years. “I’ve been at every school that ever existed in this district!” Vicki says. “But I’ve been at Lakeridge continuously throughout, and it’s always been home.” Vicki will retire at the end of this school year. “I don’t know how I’ll do it,” she says. “I may come back as a substitute!”

Outside interests: “I guess I’d better find some, eh?” Vicki jokes, referring to her impending retirement. Actually, she is an avid quilter and loves to travel. “Last year, my husband and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary in Europe,” says Vicki. “We spent four weeks touring Germany, Austria, France, Switzerland, and London. We wanted to do it while we could still jump on the trains!” At home, Vicki enjoys running, riding her bike and hopes to do more volunteering. She and husband, Mike, whom she met while in high school – he was the older brother of a friend – also enjoy golfing. Vicki and Mike live in Bellevue and have two sons, Jason, who is married, and Jeff, who will be married this summer.