Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ingrid Stipes - Fourth Grade Teacher

Location:
West Mercer Elementary

How she sees her job: Beyond teaching district curriculum, “I teach kids how to think for themselves,” says Ingrid. “Today’s kids are very guided. They have so many things done for them. Busy lives in a hurried world have led us to this. I ask my kids to stop, look at what they are doing, and consider – ‘How do I think I did on this project? Did I work my hardest? Did I do quality work? What can I do differently next time?’ I want them to take it deeper. I don’t think 9-10 year olds are too young for that. I want them to know how to make informed decisions when they are grown up, to become productive and knowledgeable people of the world. I also teach time management, a skill they will need in the upper grades.”

Typical day: “The beauty of elementary school is that we are not on a fixed schedule,” Ingrid says. “We have the luxury of big blocks of time, so if a lesson gets really exciting we don’t have to stop.” Each day includes Readers Workshop, math, music, and literacy block. In addition, “every Wednesday we do an art project, no matter what!” Ingrid exclaims. “Art is a problem-solving experience. You can see into the minds of children in the art they create. But it’s not about the end product. It’s about what they learned during the process.”

Best part of the job: “Hanging out with 9-10 year olds who are full of new ideas, enthusiasms, and are excited about life. I feel lucky that I get to share in that. I found my niche in elementary school. I also feel really lucky to be with the excellent teachers and staff here at West Mercer.”

Something people may not know: “I’m a closet welder,“ Ingrid says, laughing. “I love to solder!” After a tin-smithing class, Ingrid designed a tin doll – a loose-limbed hanging piece. “I’m getting ready to solder some pleats in her skirt.”

Years in district: 33 years with MISD. Ingrid taught at the UW Lab School for four years prior, where she was trained to teach Special Education.

Outside interests: “I like to keep my old bones moving,” Ingrid says, laughing. She makes time for swimming and walking. Biking is an interest she shares with husband Jim, a retired MISD teacher. “We biked every day last summer,” says Ingrid. She also likes to read, and write poetry. Ingrid and Jim live on Mercer Island. They have three grown children – James, Sarah, and Matt. Now that the children are gone, a “darling barn cat named Cleo” keeps the household lively. “She’s a hoot!” says Ingrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment